This was the first week of us getting back into “Meatless Mondays”. Perhaps it was the news that bacon will kill you, or that red meat is poison. Maybe it was the blood work results my husband and I received last week indicating higher levels of LDL, Triglycerides, and Cholesterol. Or it could simply be that we want to save a little money and set a healthier example for our kids. Whatever it is, we’re starting it back up and it began this week.
This recipe is really simple, packs a lot of flavor, and doesn’t require a whole lot of time in the kitchen.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch kale chopped, ribs removed
1 onion chopped
3 tbsp garlic minced
3 C chicken broth
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 15.5 oz can of Cannellini beans, drained
Here’s what you do:
- Heat a large stock pot on medium-high heat
- Once hot, add the olive oil
- Add chopped onion and stir occasionally, until onions are soft
- Add minced garlic and stir frequently for one minute
- Pour 1C chicken broth, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and red pepper flakes into the pot and reduce (aka let that sucker boil for 5-7 minutes)
- Stir in the chopped kale
- Add remaining 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Top with remaining 2 C of chicken broth and cover for a couple minutes (until the kale is wilted)
- Stir in the drained Cannellini beans
- Let cook, stirring occasionally until steaming
- Yields 4 servings
- We served ours over whole wheat pasta.
- If you’re not into the whole “Meatless Monday” trend, we’ve also made this dish with the dreaded processed Italian sausage.
- To make this truly vegetarian, you could substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
There you have it, I feel so healthy today that I decided we would cook burgers tonight to celebrate! 🙂