The title really could go either way on this one, but rest-assured I’m referring to a delicious beverage that we serve up to the adults each Halloween. This recipe is a tradition that goes back a few years. I’m not exactly sure how far back, but it’s been our go to Halloween beverage for quite sometime now. Bonus points: it’s super easy to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 Gallon of Apple Cider
2 C Rum (more or less depending on your
tastes tolerance) – we’ve also used Bourbon, but since we are a Bourbon drinking family we prefer to save the good stuff for the rocks.
4 tbsp mulling spices – can use off the shelf; recipe for making your own below.
Mulling Spice Recipe:
Combine equal amounts crushed cinnamon stick, whole allspice, dried orange peel, star anise, and whole cloves. Save in a jar and use for mulling cider or wine.
Here’s what you do:
This recipe can be made on the stove top or in the crockpot. I prefer crockpot because it regulates the temperature better. This is also an easy recipe to cut in half for smaller crowds.
- Pour cider into the crockpot on low heat.
- Add rum (or bourbon).
- Cut a 6×6 square of cheesecloth and place mulling spices in the center.
- Wrap the cheesecloth and tie with baking string.
- Place the wrapped mulling spices into the crockpot.
- Bring to temperature (should be steaming and not boiling).
- Reduce to the “keep warm” setting and serve.
I’m not going to say that you should offer this to parents who are taking their kids around the neighborhood, but if I were taking my daughter around I would prefer a cup of hot cider to candy. Just saying. 😉